- My parents taught me that love does not conquer all. That love ends – and begins again
- —Dawson's best man speech
LOVE CONQUERS ALL IN CLIMACTIC SEASON FINALE – After an emotional day filled with love, tears and wedding vows, Joey (Katie Holmes) ultimately must choose between her love for Dawson (James Van Der Beek) and her new feelings for Pacey (Joshua Jackson). Across town, Grams (Mary Beth Peil) talks about love and regret with Jen (Michelle Williams), while Jack (Kerr Smith) and Andie (Meredith Monroe), and Grams make a decision to drive all night so that Jen can see Henry (guest star Michael Pitt) one last time and for Jack to see Ethan.
- James Van Der Beek as Dawson Leery
- Katie Holmes as Joey Potter
- Michelle Williams as Jen Lindley
- Joshua Jackson as Pacey Witter
- Kerr Smith as Jack McPhee
- Meredith Monroe as Andie McPhee
- Mary-Margaret Humes as Gale Leery
- John Wesley Shipp as Mitch Leery
- Mary Beth Peil as Evelyn Ryan
- Nina Repeta as Bessie Potter
- Special Guest Stars
- Dylan Neal as Doug Witter
- Michael Pitt as Henry Parker
- Adam Kaufman as Ethan Brody
- Obi Ndefo as Bodie Wells
- I know there's people around, but I don't care. That's the point, I finally have the courage to do this
- —Jack to Ethan
- Jen – We’re not in Capeside anymore, Toto. This is some alternate reality where our intellects are sharper, our quips are wittier and our hearts are repeatedly broken while faintly in the background, some soon to be out of date, contempo pop music plays
- Dawson – So, why does it hurt so much?
- Andie – Because our pain makes us real, Dawson
- The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- The kiss between Adam Kaufman (Ethan) and Kerr Smith (Jack) was the first ever kiss between two men in network TV history.
- However, Ethan got back together with his ex-boyfriend Brad so the kiss leads nowhere but Jack's dad takes a big leap forward and consoles his son.
- Dawson lets Joey go to explore her feelings with Pacey.
- Joey finally admits that she is in love with Pacey and she asks to sail away with him.
- The scene where Dawson bursts into tears as Joey leaves became the Internet meme known as "Dawson's Crying Face".
- jealous | SINEAD O'CONNOR
- Episode start; later when Dawson and Joey dance
- sleepless | JANN ARDEN
- Pacey and Doug by True Love
- the riverside | JESSICA ANDREWS
- Pacey's farewell party
- promise me this | PANCHO'S LAMENT
- ask me to stay
- days like these | JANIS IAN
- Gail and Mitch marry; later when Joey and Pacey sail away
- walking in my sleep | BETTER DAYS
- Jen finds Henry's bus
- i will be there for you | JESSICA ANDREWS
- Jack's father comforts him; Dawson finds the gang in his room; Joey runs to catch Pacey
Notes and references
- Kerr Smith On Jack McPhee From 'Dawson's Creek' & What It Was Like Playing An LGBT Character In The '90s (February 2015)
- 'Dawson's Creek's' Kerr Smith and Adam Kaufman remember their groundbreaking 'True Love' kiss (May 2015)
- Fifteen Years Ago, ‘Dawson’s Creek’ Gave Us TV’s First ‘Passionate’ Gay Kiss. How Far Have We Come? (April 2015)